Friday, February 6, 2009

Lazyman

We all know I love a good challenge, yeah?

So, in an effort to give my Cookie Monster ass a reason to get to the gym (and do something OTHER THAN feed my Spinning addiction), I (and Cheese) signed up for the Lazyman Triathlon at our YMCA.

Basically, you have to complete an Ironman distance over the course of a month.

It works off the honor system - You have a large index card hanging on the wall, and you just tick off the distances as you complete them. No one tracks you but your honesty and the Big Man upstairs.

I am sure it is of no surprise that, given my love of all things bike, my bike distance is almost complete after four days.

My swim and run, though? Not so much.

However, I am proud to say that I kissed and made up with the pool this morning after giving it the cold shoulder for about three months. And in return, it let me pound out a mile to add to my card.

The runs are just going to have to tick off a little more slowly.

Nonetheless, I intend on completing the total distance by Tuesday of next week, exactly one week after I started.

I should also mention that this is a no-competition race. Meaning, we all get tee-shirts, and no one actually wins.

But I think we all know, by this point, that the phrase “no competition” exists nowhere in Megan World.

There’s always a competitor, even if it’s the cruel little man that runs the gears in my head, taunting me with cake and telling me it's okay to sleep in.

Moreover, I do not understand the concept of a “no-win” race.

I mean, someone has to finish first, right? Hence, there's a winner.

So hell yeah, you know my ass is up in the gym, ticking off my miles on my card while eyeballing everyone else’s mileage – scheming double workouts and calculating finishes….

“Hmm, Mary Ann Giles is half-mile ahead of me on the swim, but she’s only done 25 bike miles.”

“Stacey Mathers has six miles of the run on me, but not a single swim.”

“Carol Smith is racking up those bike miles, AND she’s ahead on the runs! Grrrrr!”

You bet your sweet asses that I counted on my fingers the mileage I had left and when to do it - wondering if I could pull off a double swim today to get that .4 mile in, and finishing up with the last mile on Sunday.

Yeah, I AM that crazy lady that every gym has - the one that always seems to be there, day in and out - evern at the oddest of hours, like 1pm on a Wednesday.

That’s me.

Loud and proud.

I'll let you know when I claim the prize.

12 comments:

prin said...

Good luck.... you weirdo. :D

JT said...

Thats a cool idea :-)

Jen Rife said...

Too funny! I am the same way when it comes to competition - I'm competing all the time, even when it's not a competition. Good luck!

Captain Cactus said...

That IM in a month thing is going on with the Evotri site using the Plus 3 Network to track all the workouts. It's kind of silly, but this non-competition has been a bigger driver for me to do workouts over the last two months than the upcoming marathon! My February IM is coming well, but you're going to beat me to it. Swim was done Wedensday, run will be done Sunday, but a couple hours on the trainer tomorrow is only going to get me to half way through the bike.

rUntoNamAste said...

Haha I love it! Go 'head with your bad self and kick some ass!

The Young Family said...

What a great idea! Love it!

It is my knd of ironman!!

Go get'em tiger!

(could I use more !!!!???)
Em

Joe said...

congrats on making up with the pool. me and the pool are going to be awesome friends this spring...

Tri-Angle said...

My question though, is how'a the Cheese doing?
We KNOW you're going to freak and get it done in record time.

RBR said...

Lazyman that is awesome! Go kick Carol Ann's ass!

You have a Cake Man in your head too? That makes me feel a lot better. :o)

:) said...

I AM CAKEMAN!!!

The Fire said...

Oh wow look at my t shirt!!! Did you check the wall and really look at the names?? If you did, you would have found my name. I AM DONE!!! HAH...FINISHED ON MONDAY! HA..ITS OKAY, I MEAN 2ND PLACE ISN'T BAD. IT IS JUST THE FIRST LOSER ISN'T IT!!!!

Michelle said...

I know this is so strange... but I just saw BL for the first time in probably 2 years, and of course I sat there and watched Blaine BUTCHER IRONMAN at the end!!!!! And my first reaction was to leave you (a complete stranger) a comment. Weird? Yes. Creepy? Kinda. Sorry!