Monday, November 20, 2006

How it all got started

You might think that being a procrastinator is not the best trait for an Ironman-hopeful, but hear me out, I can change your mind. See, I am all about procrastinating, be it in school, at work, and most recently studying for my license exam in clinical psychology. How it works for IM training is this: I tend to avoid doing work in all these other areas, and spend my time training instead. See how well it works for me?

So you might think that, with all the time I must then have to train, I would be this ripped, rocking tri-monster with callused palms and gym rash. But alas, I am not. I am just regular Megan, a 30-year old, relatively new-to-the-tri-scene-wannabe-Ironman (Ironwoman?) with huge ambitions but a sometimes (okay, most times) lazyman's approach to the world. My biggest hurdle is my tendency to become too comfortable, to run at a pace in which I can also conversate (10:00/mile), ride at a pace at which I can avoid lung burn, and swim relatively smoothly without much exertion. But, as I am FULL of contradiction, I can do this stuff all day long (again, mostly to avoid my other obligations, but anyway...)

So as I stand on the cusp of a new career milestone (that license thing), a potential new job, a long winter of training for IM Arizona (in Chicago nonetheless), I figured a new blog would be a great way to distract me from what I need to focus on at the moment, while uniting all those who, like me, can embrace the avoidance, accept their laziness, and appreciate all there is to do that is not quite what you SHOULD be doing. After all, if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done, right?

No comments: