Saturday, May 31, 2008

Musings on a Summer Day in Chicago

“I’m from a city in the Midwest/Best city in the whole wide wide world” – Lupe Fiasco

Today was the kind of day that makes living through our 10 months of winter so worth it.

From the moment I opened my eyes, the day it was 75, sunny and just waiting to be gobbled up.

I started the day on Roscoe Village, having brunch with a high school friend I hadn’t seen in literally years (one of the redeeming factors of Facebook).

As I stood waiting for her, I looked up at the sky through the trees, and wished I had a camera to record and show you all just how stunning that moment was in my city.

My city.

The scene was almost straight out of a movie.

After my friend arrived, we sat outside, under the trees on Roscoe Street at Damen, watching all the runners, Avon Cancer walkers, husbands pushing strollers, frat boys heading to the Cubs game, and girlfriends soaking up the beauty of the morning.

We were surrounded by the sounds of music, car honking and people cheering for the walkers, laugher of families, and squeals of children.

When it was over and I got back into the car, I opened all the windows, instead of turning the heat on “Furnace.”

I then stopped at my sister’s, hung with my nephew, (who apparently was in a Junior Mint sugar coma thanks to my brother-in-law, who could only think of feeding him 25 candies to soothe a boo-boo), then headed home to workout.

After my five-mile run, I met my other sister for an early dinner and a beer. Yes, I had a beer.

It was that kind of day. A day that called for a cold beer after a good run, on an outside patio of a bar with my sister.

I had some plans for tonight, but honestly, I am kinda worn out at this point, that I think I may just chill, shower, and regroup for tomorrow’s brick.

Oh, and how can I forget that the weekend was kicked off by a girl’s night, complete with dinner, Cosmos and the Sex in the City movie.

Sigh.

Perfect.

Well, not so much the movie, but the company. And the experience.

Time to shower.

Hope you all had an equally fantastic weekend.

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I had a 20k this morning, so I was sorta wishing the nice warm weather would hold off one more day...

Danni said...

Looks like a nice summer evening. Glad you were able to enjoy it.

prin said...

Yey again! :)

Sounds like an awesome weekend. ;)