Tuesday, December 5, 2006

So That's How It's Gonna Be

Today was my first coach-dictated workout. Oh. My. Gosh.

First, let me say that this was the BEST decision I have ever made. Not only does he literally tell what to do, from specific drills, to days, to times, but he actually expects that I will do it. Really. And I do. For him. Well, okay, for myself too, but I am the kind of person refused to show up to class without it simply due to guilt. So when people expect things from me, I do them (usually...sometimes...well, depends on the person).

Second, I really have been cutting myself some slack, and am clearly NOT a better person for it. Example: I like to think that I "drill" when I do my little swim workouts, and I make up new ones as a I go along, and I make up how "fast" I think I should go. Not so much with the coach. See, he's got my number, and actually tells me what percentage of exertion I should be going at. Let's just say I was shaking when I got out of the pool today, and my head still feel like it's still in it. And THEN he told me to ride my bike!!! When I got home!!! Oh, boy.

Bottom line is that he is going push me beyond what I have identified as my "comfort" zone, and truthfully, I asked him to. See, I liked running 10:00minute miles because I could talk, have fun, catch up with friends but not feel too taxed. I could swim an easy 2400 without much wear afterwards. I could even bike for four hours at a steady pace and not be wrecked. I have a feeling the "Coach C" is going to change that, and honestly, IT'S ABOUT DARN TIME.

So now I know, I am a believer. I don't care if I have to eat generic beans from a can for the next four months to pay for him, he's staying. And now, more than ever, I truly believe that I am going to finish this job. Look out Ironman, there's a new age-grouper in town.

No comments: