Wednesday, March 12, 2008

3 Hours and 19 Miles Later...

I am home and recovering.

Wow, this one was a bit tough.

I ran it alone, with the company of only my IPod to keep me going. I thought about calling some friends to see if they wanted to join me for parts of it, but then I figured, "Hey, you'll be on the road alone that day, so you might as well get used to it."

I guess what made it tough today was that I never really felt good - couldn't find a stride, had right hip problems and left IT band issues. Plus, I was somewhat overcome with severe cramps and back pain as I left the house, due to, well, girl stuff.

I think that last part played the biggest role - the cramps just made me feel pretty sick the whole time. Like, wanna-vomit-my-Mocha-Clif-shot sick.

Then there was the whole issue of no hydration, due mostly to yucky Fuel Belt bottles that I discovered at Mile 5.5 (and stupidly proceeded to toss in the garbage instead of just unscrewing and drinking straight from the bottle), and then the late decision to keep running south, instead of looping back north to replenish at my car. I was basically left with one Fuel Belt bottle of water, and one of Gatorade, for the whole 19 miles.

You know it's bad when you start praying to God and making promises that, at some level, you probably won't keep. For example, it went a little something like this:

"God, or Dad, if either of you are listening, I swear I will throw out that box of candy I keep in the car if you can put just a little more strength in my legs."

Didn't work.

"Hey God? Dad? I promise I won't skip another swim from here on out if I can just get through this."

They must have called my bluff.

So I was left to fantasize about the food I was going to inhale once this long run was over. Sushi played a role my little mind game, and there was also a chocolate milkshake that was calling me home.

So that's how it went down.

After the run, I met my sisters for a chocolate/peanut butter milkshake and dinner (no sushi), but went straight from the run, so I shivered through the whole event.

The shower seemed to help. I am now laid up in the bed, ready to crash and then go to a two-day conference at NIU tomorrow. Hence, I may not post until Friday, when I get home that night.

So, it's done, checked off the list for the week. I think I only have one more three hour run left before taper, so I am pretty happy about that.

Ironman is in less than five weeks.



moonpie said...

Congrats on getting the run done, and it sounds like this one might be one you'll dig up in AZ for memories of how you pulled through!

The Clyde said...

Not sure what your schedule looks like, but I'm doing a 3hr zone 1 ride on Sunday out in the burbs, you're welcome to come along if you want. I think as of now there are two others from my tri-club doing ti as well. Nice and slow. Noon start so we get the "heat" at it's right time (40 and light wind).


The Big Cheese said...

Very proud of all your hard work.

Prin said...


I wonder what the sleep would feel like after a three hour run. Somehow I would expect it to be far more gratifying than, say, reading blogs for three hours...

Prin said...

Wait. lol I meant that to say "Somehow I would expect it to be far more gratifying than, say, the sleep that comes after reading blogs for three hours..."

Ah, crap. A slip on a shrink's blog. I'm in trouble now.



AGA said...

Fantastic! After my one and only 19 mile run I laid on the floor and ate peanut butter by the spoonful:)

Donald said...

Nice job to tough it out on the long run. That toughness will come in handy at IM.