Sunday, February 4, 2007

The Final Hour

In just one hour, the Chicago Bears will be taking the field en route to their Superbowl victory. I was nine the last time we were in this position, just a little squirt in the basement of my friend Carrie's house lip syncing the Superbowl Shuffle into a wooden sppon with a sweatband around my head and a "9" painted on white tee-shirt, while dreaming about marrying Jim McMahon when I grew up (come on now, he was the "punky QB," and I had a thing for bad boys).

Though I was young, I remember the town literally feeling as if it were on fire, the electricity and excitement was so stifling. My family, who has owned Bears season tickets since before I was even a thought in my parent's mind, treated it like it was Christmas, and I remember literally giving myself a headache from my excitement.

Of course, as you might remember, the Bears came out on top early, and never looked back. A blowout made the second half a little less exciting, but damned if we didn't bang our pots and pans at the final seconds wound down.

This year, there is definitely excitement, but given the slight uncertainty of the regular season, there seems to be a bit of hesitant celebration, or at least I think that it why it hasn't felt quite the same as I remember it. But hey, we're still there, and were still gonna fight for a win. And in case there is any argument, Chicago is by and large the best city to live in. Anywhere.

So if you live far and can't hear my voice - GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now go get your game on.

No comments: