Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Duel in the Sun (room)

With the wind of a 17 degree day (windchill at 1 degree) howling outside, me and my sister mounted our respective flying machines (read: tri bikes) and pedaled away this afternoon. I know she hates trainer rides, and is not really training for anything herself, so I appreciate her company for a short 65 minute ride. Since there was literally nothing to watch on t.v. except the 24-hour Bears coverage (seriously, I'm psyched for the game, but really, why do I care what type of toilet paper the team wipes their butts with down there or what movies they watch in their hotel rooms? The coverage is getting kind of ridiculous.)

So we ended up watching one of the "Intervention" episodes. Have you seen this show? Today was the one with the bulimic and video game addicts, but the other ones, like the stripper addicted to meth or the alcoholic ladies who drink during the day on the job - wow. This stuff is I.N.T.E.N.S.E.

Today watching the bulimic lady brought back some pretty harsh memories of my treatment. I asked Devin is she remembered when the family had to go for family therapy when I was in treatment. She did, but then stated, "But I only remember one session." Must be because the family was cured after that.

Anyway, it was kind of weird pedaling away for a training ride while watching someone destroy her body much in the same way I used to do mine (though she used pills, and I used restriction and severe purging). It made me think of how far I have come, but yet how much these issues still fill my head. Food, like others in the blogger community have indicated, is a massive struggle that must be confronted several time a day, and for those of us with issues around it, the thoughts are rarely confined to meal times. Rather they come at meals, between meals, after meals, thinking about tomorrows meals, etc. It never stops.

On that note, I have to go to my ALANON meeting (speaking of getting healthy). Have a good night.

No comments: