Monday, January 8, 2007

The Good, the Bad and the Smelly

I went to the physical therapist/chiropractor guy today and the news ain't great. The bad: he thinks it really might be a cartilage problem again (grrr!) which obviously requires some type of surgery. The good: he was able to do some adjustments to my leg and pelvis, and also worked out some of the tissue build up in the thigh, which will likely require ongoing assistance. Also, he will be giving me some pills to take for protein (will explain below) and for joint repair more powerful than what I have been using. An he wasn't outragously expensive (though he willbe added to the Cost list).

So the protein thing: At the very end of the session, he asked me about vitamins. I was like, "Come again?" and he was like "Huh? You don't use them?" And I was like, "Unless they are in the shape of Flintstones and taste like Pez, then no." Then he asked me what I eat, and I was, in my head, "no no no no no no, let's not go down this road, cause it's completely paved with gumdrops, lollipops and licorice. Literally."

Eventually it is uncovered that I don't eat meat or chicken, and sugar has its own holy place in my food pyramid (frankly, its the foundation) and I only recently have started eating fish (after years of being a vegan and vegetarian, which, sadly, is really a byproduct of my eating disordered history) to help boost the protein. And he's like, "So you only really eat protein once a day?" And I was like, "Well yeah, but its usually salmon which is full of good stuff...I hear..ummm...and I can REALLY put away some sushi." Pause. Blank stare. And he was like, "Okay, let's talk supplements." He basically is going to have me take a pill equivalent to "steak in a pill."

AND AND AND he's making me write down my food intake for the next week! I think we all know where this is heading, and its about as stinky as my feet when he made me take off my shoes. Oh, while we're on the subject, which food group does Large Tub of Movie Theatre Popcorn Soaked In So Much Fake Butter/Oil/Lard That It Burns Through The Bag go in?

Duh, it's corn.

So vegetable. Definitely vegetable.

So we set another appointment, he packed me up with some stretches and information, and sent me limping on my way. I have to admit that I am really struggling with the direction to go. Do I do this race, or suck it up and try again next year? For those that have done IM: can you train intensely in the swim and bike, and wing it in the run? I am struggling with a ton of emotions but I can't really articulate them right now. Feel free to point me in some direction.

No comments: